Saturday, August 25, 2012

Uglies Book Review

Uglies
Author: Scott Westerfield
Series: Uglies
Book #: 1 out of 4
Read: August 22, 2012 - August 23, 2012
Rating: 4 stars


Author's Synopsis:
Everybody gets to be supermodel gorgeous. What could be wrong with that? Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license -- for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.

Jenkies' Review:
As you can see above I read this book pretty quickly. That's one thing I like about books is when they are an easy read like that. The author's writing was interesting. I found that it switched from one point of view to another constantly through the book. It would go from Tally's thought processes to second person and then to third person. It threw me off a few times in the book.

If it weren't for the awkward writing style as mentioned above, I probably would have rated it a 5. I loved the story of the book. I loved seeing the character grow within the book. She goes from a shallow girl to one with more of a purpose. I also really enjoyed how quickly everything seemed to move within the book! It gets boring when books drag certain sequences out, so I find it refreshing when multiple things happen in a book.

Towards the end of the book I just became frustrated! To the point where I just wanted to jump up and down and scream at Tally! Like, "C'mon! Just do it already!!!"Now, I'm going to have to order the second book of the series, Pretties.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...