Friday, September 7, 2012

Gone Girl Book Review

Gone Girl
Author: Gillian Flynn
Series: N/A
Book #: 1 out of 1
Read: August 28, 2012 - September 7, 2012
Rating: 5 stars

Author's Synopsis:
On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?

As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn’t do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?

With her razor-sharp writing and trademark psychological insight, Gillian Flynn delivers a fast-paced, devilishly dark, and ingeniously plotted thriller that confirms her status as one of the hottest writers around.



Jenkies' Review:

Of course I had my reading list all planned out and another book that I requested at the library came through! So, I immediately started reading it. To be honest I was drawn to this book because I saw a long waitlist at the library for it. That’s when I knew that there must be something good about this book to draw that much attention. I am happy that I followed that instinct because it was a great read. It is one of those books that I could easily find myself re-reading a few times.
I’ll admit the first half of the book is really setting everything up and getting you to know the characters, Amy and Nick. By the time you reach half way through the book there is a huge twist and next thing you know you’ve read about 3/4ths of the book non-stop. (Okay, I stopped to sleep and take my daughter to school.)
There is a lot of suspense in it and you aren’t ever quite sure how it is going to turn out. I liked that about it, I couldn’t guess what was going to happen next. The style of writing the author has is right up my alley. I will be looking into some of the other books she has…my guess is, they’ll be just as great.
I have tendencies to read a lot of Young Adult books and if you are like me and like to shake it up every now and then, I’d suggest this book. So, go on out and get your name on the list at the library to get this book! Believe me, I had to wait like a month for it, but it was worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...